24.6.11

Only in Spain



There was a party for the students on the last day of my Spanish class. We we all brought food from our home country, and then learned to play djembes. There were at least 15 people other people playing in our circle of loud druming awesomeness. In the picture are Caitlyn (American) and Johannes (German), 2 friends from class.



Yesterday was el dia del San Juan. To celebrate, people start bonfires all over the city. My friend Koro invited me to go see one of the biggest fires in town along with 6 of her friends. We saw this sweet sunset while we waited for the fires to start.



Things that would never happen in the US:

-this huge fire in the middle of the city

-all the kids around this fire who were starting other small fires...by themselves...

-if you take a piece of bark from a certain tree on this holiday it is considered good luck. However, the tree has a very small trunk, and to get bark you have to climb up pretty high since all the lower bark has been taken. Also, the bark is kind of hard to peel off. Spain's solution: send small children to climb up the tree with knives...







One of Koro's friends taught me her Basque dancing ways










Koro is the lady directly to the right of me in this picture. She loves showing me new things and teaching me about San Sebastian and the culture here. I'm also convinced that she is the most popular person in this city. Seriously...she knows everyone.

1 comment:

  1. oh clare! i love that you are experiencing so much and developing sweet relationships. i am praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete